Friday 18 August 2017

The NST : M'sia clinches gold in men's, women's 10km open water swimming; Yeap creates history


By AJITPAL SINGH - August 18, 2017 @ 11:35am

KUALA LUMPUR: As expected, Malaysia clinched the Sea Games (KL2017) men's and women's 10km open water swimming gold medals through Kevin Yeap and Heidi Gan at Putrajaya Lake on Friday.

Kevin also created history as the first Malaysian to win gold medals in two different disciplines in swimming at the biennial games.


The 28-year-old won the 400m freestyle event at the 2011 Indonesia Sea Games.

After crossing the finish line after six laps, he raised his fist in the air and later declared that he is retiring from all swimming events.

"I am so happy to deliver the gold. I had wanted to retire after failing to qualify for the Rio Olympics in pool swimming, but national coach Paul Birmingham persuaded me to stay on and try open water races.

"Birmingham told me to retire with glory first and I did that today," said Kevin.

Heidi overcame illness and injuries to win the women's title.

"I am actually on antibiotics right now... I have been sick for the past one week.

"I will swim the 4x200m freestyle event before I take a break and decide on whether to retire," said the Perth-based Heidi.




No comments:

Post a Comment

1st Malaysia Open Water Swimming Championships 2019

Open water swimmers are invited to compete in the 1st Malaysia Open Water Swimming Championships 2019 as follows : Date : 21 April, 2019 ...